WORKING JIIFF

Generación J

For emerging fiction film producers and directors from Uruguay.

January 19th, 20th, 21st

WORKING JIIFF

Generación J

January 19th, 20th, 21st

Generación J 2024

Working JIIFF holds the 3rd. edition of Generación J. Its goal is that emerging Uruguayan directors and producers of fiction can work on the development and the insertion of their future films. This activity will be held with one online session and three face-to-face sessions within the framework of José Ignacio International Film Festival.

With management and production by JIIFF and with the support of the Uruguayan Cinema and Audiovisual Agency (ACAU), Generación J is a training space designed and tutored by two professionals from the Latin American film industry: Martha Orozco and Emiliano Mazza De Luca.

The work will have three thematic axes: training, internationalization and co-production.

With the third edition underway, Generación J has been legitimized by the local industry. This is a space that lays the foundation for the professional careers for its participants, but also for their projects, which from this point on begin to be recognized by other training spaces and work laboratories.

This year Generación J is creating a different approach. We called on pairs of directors-producers under 32 to think together about the project they have under development; so that they can, while training, dynamically approach the project and enhance it for its next stages.

Once again, we trust in this key training space for the Uruguayan audiovisual industry and also in the commitment of these 10 young people who will meet with professionals from the local and international industry to discuss their future fiction feature films.

AWARDS

• Three NYFA Scholarships for three participating duos. One scholarship for an on-campus course in NY or LA, and two scholarships for online courses.
  • Kaleidoskopik Scholarship, which includes one (1) mentoring session for the development of a project with 12 hours of online guidance from the producer Martha Orozco and Emiliano Mazza de Luca. The winning project will be selected from the 5 participating duos.
  • Cimarrón Cine Scholarship, which includes one (1) mentoring session for the development of a project selected from the 5 participating duos.
  • Universidad del Cine Award, which involves participating in the 2024 edition of Talents Buenos Aires, under the same conditions as other participants.
  • Teaser Production Award supported by:
    - Premio Musitelli Award of a voucher worth $2500 for the rental of lighting & grip equipment and accessories.
    - Premio COLOUR Award for color finishing (up to 15 minutes).
    - Premio LaMayor Cine Award for sound post-production (up to 15 minutes).

TUTORS

Martha Orozco

Martha Orozco

Boutique producer with an auteur mark on films with social themes, highlighting diversity, equity and inclusion. She specializes in impact cinema strategies. Her productions have received awards at international festivals. One of her last films was a winner at Cannes. She ventures into new genres, mixing non-fiction with fiction. She was head of the Production chair at the EICTV, co-author of the “Basic Production Manual” (IMCINE) and head of the Documentary chair at the CCC. Founder of the Kaleidoskopik Training, Development and Impact Agency.

Emiliano Mazza de Luca

Emiliano Mazza de Luca

Director, Producer and Tutor. He’s the director of Passaparola Production Company with an auteur cinema profile. He experiments with narrative forms, production design and impact distribution. He is developing the fiction “Las despenadoras”, a coming of age with a documentary record and touches of fantastic cinema, and the essay film “Pax In Lucem” about the life of Uruguayan-Catalan artist Joaquín Torres-García. Founder of Kaleidoskopik Training, Development and Impact Agency. He’s a tutor in spaces such as the Ibero-American Platform in DocsMx, DG Cine and GoodPitch.

SPECIAL ACTIVITIES

Conversation

Rodolfo Sayagues

Rodolfo Sayagues

Born in Montevideo, he began his path in the world of the audiovisual with videos for local rock bands. He directed commercials and received several awards locally. Together with his partner and collaborator Fede Álvarez, he began making short films and developing ideas for feature films. This creative process led to the making of the short film “Panic Attack” which, after going viral on YouTube, caught the attention of acclaimed filmmaker SAM RAIMI, resulting in a contract that marked the begging of his career in Hollywood. Over the last few years, he has worked as a screenwriter, producer and director for the most important studios in the industry.

Master Class

Paula Vaccaro

Paula Álvarez Vaccaro

Born in Argentina, Paula is an award-winning producer, screenwriter and journalist with international experience in print media, film and TV. She lives in the United Kingdom since 2000, where she founded the film and TV production company PINBALL LONDON in 2009. Her productions received over ninety awards including three Lions in Venice. She is a member of BAFTA, the European Film Academy; of the Writers' Association of Great Britain and the board of directors of the European Producers Club, where she was vice-president until 2023.

Master Class

Daniel Dreifuss

Daniel Dreifuss

Renowned film and television producer based in Los Angeles. He produced films that have competed for the Oscars in two instances: “No” (for Chile in 2012) and the winner of five Oscars “All Quiet on the Western Front” (for Germany in 2022). He collaborated with Netflix, and is finishing a limited series for Showtime/Paramount. He began his career at the MPAA working nationally and internationally, and continued working at Paramount. He earned his MFA in Film Production from the American Film Institute. He has also been a jury member at several film festivals.

Experience

Martín Pittaluga y Fernando Trocca

Martín Pittaluga y Fernando Trocca

Martín Pittaluga. Uruguay. He is Co-founder of Parador La Huella at José Ignacio, Parador La Caracola, Mostrador Santa Teresita, Restaurant Bajo el Alma, Sucre, Restaurante de Uruguay, Agua e Sal, La Roca, Eufracio, Restaurant Bleu Blanc Rouge among others.

Fernando Trocca. His beginnings are in 1985. He worked with Francis Mallman and Gato Dumas. He has worked in Spain, Italy, New York, France, Mexico. He currently runs Sucre, located in London and Dubai. Co-founder of Mostrador Santa Teresita in José Ignacio. Also Mostrador in Buenos Aires and Montauk (NY, USA). He has been for 15 years on television and has 3 published books: Trocca cocinero, Mostrador Santa Teresita, Trocca en Casa.

PARTICIPANTS

Dejemos hablar al placer

Juan Martín Alonso & Fabián Rojas

Juan Martín Alonso & Fabián Rojas

Juan Martín Alonso. Salto, 1992. He is a self-taught student of film since 2009. He took part in production workshops at ORT 2022, Puentes 2022 and Generación J 2023. In 2020 he founded Ipsilon Films, with which he produced the feature film Nina & Emma. In 2023 he wrote, directed and produced his debut feature Trenza de espinas (currently in post-production). He was executive producer in Las 7 balas, and associate producer in the documentary Mi abuela al Mundial, both in post-production.

Fabián Rojas. He studied Communication at the UCU and completed a Master's Degree in Film Scriptwriting at the ECIB (Barcelona). He produced the Uruguayan film Nina & Emma. He directed Montevideo Soul, a short film that won Best National Short Film at the Piriápolis Film Festival. He is developing his first feature film and works as a director at the film and advertising production company Oriental Films.

Los veranos junto al jazmín

Santiago Fernández Gerpe & Gonzalo Daniel Pintado

Santiago Fernández. Audiovisual director and photographer, with a degree in Languages and Audiovisual Media from IENBA. He received a scholarship in TV & Film Production by NYFA in Uruguay and then attended a Lighting and Light Continuity workshop at EICTV. Among his audiovisual projects, we was Head of Production in New York, directed by Ismael Krall and winner in the emerging shorts section at the Detour Festival, and Executive Producer in the feature film La Pérdida, un plan franco directed by Cecilia Sanchez.

Gonzalo Daniel Pintado. With a degree in Languages and Audiovisual Media from IENBA, he is a screenwriter, director and Literature professor. In 2023 he premiered “Noches de Abril”, his first short film, as part of the official selection at JIIFF and the New Film Festival Detour. He is currently part of the independent production company Ouroboros Films, where he is developing the series “Escenas de amor para noches solitarias”, a web series project that won first mention in LAB Detour.

Marea baja

Sofía Danielle Bergazyn & Ignacio Giannini

Sofía Danielle Bergazyn. She graduated in Advertising Communication from ORT Uruguay University. She acquired knowledge in audiovisual production at the URJC in Madrid. She works as head of production and executive producer for advertising projects and fiction projects at a national and international level, for production companies such as Metrópolis Films, Orienal, Metanoia, among others. She produced the short film “El intercambio” (2023), directed by Marco Berger, winner of the Best Short Film at the NY International Film Awards 2023.

Ignacio Giannini. He has a degree in Audiovisual Design. He wrote and directed the short film “Crisálida”, nominated at the Buenos Aires International Independent Film Festival (BAFICI). He directed the CONICET documentary “El origen de la vida”. He also directed commercials, music videos and fashion films. He is currently working in Uruguay as a director at Oriental Films.

No quisiera que lloviera

Federico Fernández & Guadalupe Estévez

Federico Fernández & Guadalupe Estévez

Federico Fernández. He graduated from an audiovisual high school and is currently studying at the CTT Audiovisual at UTU Arrayanes. He stood out in key roles in short films such as “Rosas y cartones”, showing his love for production, and in video clips such as “Bamboclap - Monos Bobos”, where he showed his versatility in directing. His work in the feature film “The horses” in 2015 highlights his interest in independent cinema and marks his creative path. With a committed approach, he continues to consolidate his art.

Guadalupe Estévez. Montevideo, 2001. In 2020 she graduated from UTU's audiovisual high school. During her studies she moved through different roles such as Production, Direction, Editing, Art. Together with Daniel Borges she was responsible for Art Direction in “Frágil como cristal” (post production). She worked as an actress in different projects, “Charly en el aire” (2009), “El sereno” (2017), “Amores pendientes” (2023). She completed the Audiovisual Degree in Arrayanes in 2023 with the script for her debut feature, “No quisiera que lloviera”, currently under development.

Un lugar de verano

María Pía Goncálvez & Marco Valenti

María Pía Goncálvez & Marco Valenti

María Pía Goncálvez. Montevideo, Uruguay (1996). She graduated from the Dodecá Film School with an orientation as Assistant Director. She was a part of the Production and Direction departments in projects such as “Tan frágil como un segundo”, “Ojos grises”, “Muerto con gloria”, “Frágil como cristal” and “Porno y helado”, as well as taking part in various short films. She is producing her first feature film as Executive Producer: “Un lugar de verano”.

Marco Valenti. Montevideo, Uruguay (1998). Director and member of Ouroboros Films, a production company specializing in emerging filmmakers. In 2022, he filmed his first feature film “Frágil como cristal”, currently in post-production. He has worked as an Editor, Sound Engineer and Sound Post-producer on various projects such as “Amores pendientes” (2023) by Oscar Estévez or “Todos quieren dominar el mundo” (Avant-premiere Detour 2023) by Adrián Biniez. He is currently developing his second feature film “Un lugar de verano”.

Gen J 1ra Edición

GENERACIÓN J - FIRST EDITION

Generación J begins in the year 2022 with the aim of training emerging young Uruguayan producers. It is an event that not only serves as a space for knowledge but also for the positioning of new talents in the fiction film industry of Uruguay.

Gen J 2da Edición

GENERACIÓN J - SECOND EDITION

The 2023 edition allowed the gathering of 10 new talents from Uruguay, meeting with experts from the global film industry.

Casa Neptuna

CASA NEPTUNA

The training space of Gen J takes place at Casa Neptuna, the venue for artists of the Ama Amoedo Foundation. It is a space for thought and creation designed by the artist Edgardo Gimenez.